Tuesday 28 December 2010

Snowstorms, frost - "everything what tigers like the best*"

In the last 2-3 weeks we had lots of snow falling from the sky. Effect is that if you want to drive somewhere you have to dig out your car first.


Actually it's not that bad. In the last 2 days I saw few trucks taking out piles of snow, so one doesn't have to walk in the streets any more.

Anyway... I went for a walk around my neighbourhood to look for cars "parked until spring." Picture below shows situation which isn't hopeless. It probably means 1-2h of playing with shovel (which, btw, I think now is in possession of 3/4 of people living in this area).


As I went for my walk I saw a woman with 2 daughters digging out their car (more less like this one) and before I was back - there was a free spot to park. My congratulations, gals.

However lots of cars look more hopeless:


During my walk I found at least 20 cars hidden like that. So it gives enough data to play "guess what car it is looking just at its side mirrors." For those of you who think my neighbourhood is special and there's always more snow than in rest of the town - true. But when on 25th I was riding home by trolley I could see such epic pictures also in the other districts. And I'm still wondering how looks situation at Dąbrowa, because when here drifts are knee-high, over there it's waist level.

I'm not joking. Really.

In order to shot this view


I had to stand on a... well I think that in other seasons usually there's some kind of grass there. But now there's a thick layer of snow there. At least I hoped it's frozen enough to stand on it or at least not to fall down lower than ankles. What was a surprise for me when I suddenly found myself


stuck in a snow which ended at the level of my knees.

This isn't anything special. In total the snow that fell down created a layer of 50cm white cover. Or for those who demand more details: 35cm of snow, 5cm of ice (less than a week ago we had rain with temperature below 0C; effect of this was a 5cm layer of ice that covered everything: snow, cars, windows. Very entertaining to scratch off. Believe me, I had a chance to fight with it for 10-15 minutes on frost) and another 10 cm of snow.

So you're lucky if you can walk on the pavement. Or where pavement technically is.

Of which example (problems with walking) is the photo below. I wanted to take a better shot of this playground (because if you can't see, that's a garden with sandbox and such), yet no chances to stand on pavement which was 2m away from the fence (I totally adore the sign "please close the door"). So I had to add another 2m of distance and it looks as it looks.


During my walk I also saw this kid cleaning up the roof.


Throwing that thing off the roof is very important. Today I even saw a special "mountain brigade" playing on the top of our local supermarket. We don't want our buildings to colapse, right? Yet what makes me wonder... How that kid got up there? And why there wasn't any adult to look after him/her?

All in all. I love winter :3 It is cold and sometimes you slide like a penguin. But it's bright (with sun hiding behind the horizon before 4pm that is important), you can ride on skis or sledge. And what's more important - lots and lots of mulled wine for warming up and defrosting fingers :>

And with those make-you-drool thoughts I leave you and this charming view below. Warm greetings from the frozen land :]


* I don't remember where does the original quote come from ("To co tygryski lubią najbardziej").

1 comment:

  1. Two days ago I went with a. for a walk. Snow did not seem to be too deep, but when I stepped off the path to take a better show, I collapsed about 50cm. It turned out that the path was on squashed(?) snow and was about 45cm in height. d:


    > I don't remember where does the original quote come from ("To co tygryski lubią najbardziej").

    It's Tigger from "Winnie the pooh". {: But it seems like in english version it's "do best", not "like best":
    http://www.just-pooh.com/assets/audio/tigger/dothebest.wav

    ReplyDelete