Friday 22 January 2010

Whining day today

Gosh... I'm so tired -_-' I can't remember when was the last time I slept 6h or more. This week I had 7 (yes, seven) tests and next week looks like there are another 5 to come. And then just exams. Considering I'll have to write two tests again, because I had an option: learn for one enough to pass and ignore the other or fail at both, next 2-3 weeks look entertaining as hell...

And there comes work! The most entertaining part of my life. I mean... the "Monday-Friday" life. For those that don't know what I do for a living - I'm the tech part of an e-commerce team. One of my tasks is to upload and set commercials. I don't know what happened today, but shops connected to our product decided to send dozens of such commercials and, to make my life even more busy, they wanted PPC statistics added also. This means extra 5 minutes of clicking for me, because I have to find needed data (since our other team which is responsible for contacts with clients and forwarding me mail from them forgets to give me that). And let us not forget about some stupid demanding shop owners who want a different commercial for every day... Click, click, click.

So out of today's 9h at work I spent 2h at university writing tests, and 5h creating commercial campaigns... And those were just "sexy lingerie for Valentine's Day."

If I'm speaking about work - another funny story. We have these reports which are later sent to another services and which are also cross-linking to us. I made table, stylized it and sent it to the guy in our group responsible for contact with the other team and uploading that data. The HTML I did was completely idiot-proof (or so I had thought) with sorted data, links opening in new window. Everything was there. Everything. All one has to do is copy, paste and save. Just before I was leaving yesterday he told me that there's gonna be another table to do, but "there has to be one column added." I made a face "where's the problem in that?" and told him "then add it." His surprised look told me that I probably asked him to do something what may be compared to going to alternate galaxy. But our little boy was smart enough to make that 2nd table on his own, even if I had to correct one part of it. Today he proudly sent me link to the article. It looked fine, the only thing that had to be done was setting the links so they would open in new windows. "I have to do what?" he asked. "Add target="_blank" to every link." If anyone has a simpler way of explaining that, please let me know, because I had to repeat that 3 times today and he still hasn't got it. Not to mention he had previous tables which there absolutely fine...

Later my boss called me and asked me if I didn't want to tell him how to set target.
"But I did, 3 times..."
"You said or you wrote it?"
"Said..."
"Ha. You see... I had to go, take his keyboard and write that for him, because couldn't understand."
"Jesus..."
"Come, let's find him some HTML tutorial for dummies."


Anyway my demands for today are:
  • sleep;
  • warm blanket;
  • new episode of House MD.
And I'll keep up with sit-in (or rather wrap-in) protest until those are fulfilled.

Goodnight.

1 comment: